ChessBase Magazine 185
New Ideas for your Opening Repertoire!
The ChessBase Magazine is the most comprehensive and most sophisticated chess magazine there is. World class players analyze their brilliancies and explain the ideas behind the moves to you, opening specialists present the latest trends in opening theory and offer exciting ideas for your repertoire. Master trainers in the fields of tactics, strategy, and the endgame show you the tricks and techniques a successful tournament player needs! DVD with several hours of video + booklet.
The editor's top ten
1. “I decided to just make a move”: Wesley So annotates his win against the world champion.
2. The problem: Erwin l'Ami shows in his video how you shoueld meet the French Winawer Variation with 6...b6.
3. Erosion of the Berlin Wall: Peter Heine Nielsen explains the brilliant strategic performance of his protégé in Carlsen-Aronian.
4. Theoretical duel in the Grünfeld Defence: Yannick Pelletier analyses Karjakin's innovation 16.Na3 against Vachier-Lagrave (Video)
5. “Short and sweet”: together with Simon Williams and the 11-year old Praggnanandhaa defeat a seasoned GM!
6. “With minimal means”: with Oliver Reeh’s help get the pawns in front of your castled king into play and win! (interactive video)
7. New Trend in the Caro-Kann: let Igor Stohl show you how Black should set about things in the Exchange Variation!
8. This is how to convert an advantage: Dimitrij Jakovenko annotates his opening victory in the “Karpov tournament”: Jakovenko-Artemiev
9. A problem knight on a5? Mihail Marin examines typical examples in the King’s Indian and in the Ruy Lopez Chigorin Variation.
10. “Unbelievably exciting”: Daniel King presents Caruana's thrilling finish against So in Norway Chess (Video)
Recommendations for your Repertoire
Schandorff: English Opening A13 (Recommendation for White)
Stohl: Caro-Kann B13 (Recommendation for White)
Quintiliano: Sicilian B35 (Recommendation for Black)
Szabo: Sicilian B80 (Recommendation for White)
Karolyi: French C02 (Recommendation Black)
Ris: Scotch C45 (Recommendation for White)
Papp: Ruy Lopez C60 (Recommendation for White)
Marin: Ruy Lopez C76 (Recommendation for Black)
Havasi: Queen's Gambit D31 (Recommendation for White and Black)
Krasenkow: Queen's Indian E12 (Recommendation for White)
Kuzmin: Nimzo-Indian E51 (Recommendation for White)